Sunday, February 28, 2010

Risotto & Jerk Chicken

Tonight for Sunday dinner, I made Baked Jerk Chicken, Spring Vegetable Risotto, and carrots.

I had never had Jerk Chicken before, but it sounded good. It turned out neither one of us liked the flavor, but the good news is, the chicken did turn out juicy and tender. One step at a time, I guess.

I had never had risotto before either but when I was at the store earlier this week I saw a box of Arborio rice used to make risotto and started to think about it. I was nervous to make risotto because on the t.v. show, Hell's Kitchen, Gordon Ramsey always has mushroom risotto as an appetizer and the apprentice chefs rarely ever make it to his liking. But for some reason, the idea of constantly stirring and tasting for a long period of time appealed to me.

So here it is.



As you can see, my risotto did not have the appropriate texture and Gordon Ramsey would not be pleased, but luckily for me I wasn't feeding him. I really put an effort into constantly watching and tasting the risotto to make sure it was going as instructed and I think it did, but at the very end when I added the freshly grated Parmesan cheese it went from a very light fresh taste to sticky cheesy rice. Cheese is good, but I almost liked it better without. Still, it was good and refreshing to have something a little different from the usual.

I really enjoy cooking my little meals and even preparing for them. It has been nice to have someone to eat with.

Finally, in case you aren't on Facebook, and just because this photo makes me smile I am posting it here as well. My sister Margie took this photo of her daughter Brooke and I while I was recently in Logan.


Brooke is so cute. When Margie began to get ready to take this photo, I got down on my knees to be more at Brooke's height, so then cute Brooke, of course got on her knees. She is adorable. I love her.

3 comments:

  1. I've thought about making risotto but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for reminding me, although I'm sure Ramsey would be disgusted at any attempt I make, I tend to take shortcuts and get distracted. But your chicken looks delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlynn, risotto happens to be my favorite thing to make. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to juggle with whatever else you're making. Did you get this recipe from the Martha Stewart Great Food Fast book? That one is not my favorite. I think it's too salty and you don't get the great wine flavor. So, let me turn you on to Giada's recipe (I promise I do look at other cook books). Hers is basic and simple and, again, needs no embellishment. It's not on the Food network site, so I can't just copy and paste like I did the other one, so give me a couple days and I'll get the recipe to you. It's definitely worth trying risotto again. And your chicken looks really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that very cute photo of you and your niece isn't on FB--either you weren't tagged, you removed the tag, or I am not on your list allowed to see it...how can that be?!

    ReplyDelete