Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Olympics

The Olympic Spirit is all over Salt Lake City. Not only does Salt Lake City still have oodles of Olympic banners and statues all over, the people dress in their Olympic earmuffs, hats, and coats like the Olympics are here right now. With all the Olympic excitement, I thought it would be appropriate to make an Olympic post and share some of my athletic activities with you.

Either I have become acclimated to Salt Lake's weather or we have had a mild winter. It must be both because I remember past winters when it was impossible to run outside because the sidewalks were just covered in ice. We are currently experiencing temperatures in the 40s and I took full advantage of it.

I thought I might start with tennis at Liberty Park. They have a fantastic new tennis facility which costs $5 to use but the practice walls are free. Practicing tennis is a greater workout than it appears to be. When I play against a wall, as opposed to a full court with an opponent, the ball only has half the distance to travel. Thus the ball comes at me twice as fast and there is very little time to rest. Plus there are no resting breaks when an opponent misses the ball and has to go after it. I am the only one there going after every missed ball. It is a real workout. I started out wearing a jacket and didn't need it one bit after about a minute of warming up.


Then there is biking City Creek Canyon. My bike is rad. It is a blast to ride and I love that there are no cars on City Creek. It is a beautiful ride but also a brutal hill. Of course that also means, once I make it to the top, it is all down hill :)


Then there is basketball. I don't know what it is about this sport, but I've always liked it. I've never played on a team, but I'm surprisingly good at it. Shooting hoops is a lot of fun and time flies. I can easily waste a few hours on the court. These courts are at Madeleine Choir School just kitty corner from our place.


Finally, my favorite, running. How I love to run. It makes me feel so good. If I ever feel like I'm going out of my mind, all I have to do is go for a run and by the time I hit 30 minutes, reality hits me and I can think rationally once again. It's like a drug. There are so many reasons I like to run, I will have to do a separate post about it.

I hope this post made you smile. Now get outside.

4 comments:

  1. OK, Charlynn, this is hilarious and i didn't know you had a blog until Rcahel Sims mentioned it on FB. I've decided I'm going to donate recipes to your cause. Once a week, I'll post a crowd-pleasing recipe on my blog, http://beccanchris.blogspot.com. Try it or not, I won't be offended.

    v fvcx vddccfc cCcC xf6gggbcv cbc (That's from Will)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, who's taking all the cute candid photos? I don't think you're packing a tripod and timer around with you. Have a safe trip to Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked a couple of strangers for tennis and biking, set the camera on a shed for basketball, and Eric took the running photo. :) Thanks for noticing. It was a little tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered too who took all the pictures. It looks like so much fun to be playing outside! Get rid of my snow so I can kick my kids outside! :)

    ReplyDelete