Monday, September 12, 2011

Corn Roast

I went to the Tri-Ward Annual corn roast tonight. I am struggling to say it was awesome, because I am talking about corn, but when you combine it with the friendly faces and gorgeous weather, it was about as awesome as a ward activity can get.

When I arrived, I found my visiting teacher and said hello but it didn't feel right to tag onto her family so I found a good spot to sit and watch. I purposely arrived 40 minutes late hoping it would make it easier to blend in, but it took a lot of courage to sit alone for the first 30 minutes I was there.

After awhile, one of the primary girls recognized me and came and sat by me. It was really sweet. Then her brother joined us and eventually I got to introduce myself to her parents. It was awkward for me to socialize with the other families because they all had their kids to tend to which gives them a common thing to focus on but eventually I did visit with quite a few people in the ward.

My favorite highlight was towards the end of the night. I went to get a marshmallow to make myself a s'more and one little boy looked up at me and excitedly said, "hey" recognizing that he knew me and we roasted marshmallows together.

It was really fun and absolutely gorgeous. I'm a little rusty on my socializing skills just because I don't get to socialize as much as I used to, but as the evening went on, I was feeling the swing of things a little more. The people in our ward were all so friendly. I'm so glad I went and that I have a calling in the primary.

1 comment:

  1. A corn roast! That's one of my favorite vegetables!! he he. I'm glad you got out and enjoyed the beach and activity.

    ReplyDelete